Monday, May 11, 2009

Uncookish: Kashi Frozen Dinners

Ok, so I am generally an advocate of homemade meals, or at least semi-homemade. But sometimes you have been up since before 5 am and riding on planes all day to try to get home and you are hungry. And there is little in the fridge. And a trip to the store sounds like death. So, what to do?

You could do far worse than Kashi's Lemongrass Cocnut Chicken.
Find it in your frozen section. I really wasn't expecting much from this, I'll be honest. It's "all-natural." It has whole grains, 18 g of protein, and 7 g of fiber. I was expecting cardboard covered in dirt. But, it was actually...good. Delicious, even. Or maybe I was just sleep-deprived and desperate for nourishment. Seriously, though, it was well-seasoned, with a bit of spice, some tang from the lemongrass, and sweetness from the coconut. I didn't even need to add salt. (Probably because of the 680 mg of sodium--it is processed food, people.) It really did have good flavor, and it's relatively good for you. I think the price is around $5.00--sorry, I don't know for sure. You could definitely do worse when shopping for a frozen dinner.

No comments: