Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bookish Review: Paper Towns

First, I must mention that I was a big John Green fan before I ever read this book, even though this is the first John Green book I've ever read. I am an out-and-out nerdfighter, a huge fan of John and Hank Green's vlog on YouTube. If you have not seen it, please check it out.You won't regret it. DFTBA.

So, I had really high hopes for this book--I was even a little afraid to read it, because if it wasn't as good as I hoped, could I still love John as much?

The book focuses on Quentin Jacobsen, his band geek friends, and his love for his mysterious and super-cool neighbor, Margo Roth Speigelman. Margo and Q were friends when they were children, but of course that ended. Until one night, she appears at Q's window and takes him on the adventure of a lifetime. And then promptly disappears. Q feels certain it is up to him to find her, dead or alive.

There was a brief moment in the middle--maybe 2/3 of the way through--that I thought I was going to be disappointed. Things were dragging a little. But then, Q finds what he thinks will be the right path to find Margo, and the story picks right back up.

It's a great tale, funny and touching. A nice coming of age romp. Q's friend Ben is probably the weakest part of the tale--a few too many "honeybunny"s in his dialogue. But otherwise, it is quite enjoyable. Good for teens seeking their place in the world.

No comments: