Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bookish Review: My Sister's Keeper


This is the first book I have read by Jodi Picoult (and no, I haven't seen the movie). I must say, Picoult is a very good writer. The story was compelling, and I had to force myself to put it down at night so I could get some sleep. The story revolves around a child who was genetically engineered by her parents to be a donor for her older sister, who has leukemia. Eventually, the younger daughter decides to sue her parents for the right to make her own medical decisions about her body, and possibly stop being a donor for her sister, who will likely die without her help.
There are lots of complex ethical questions raised in this story, in addition to the interesting famil dynamic. Having a sick child in the family has obviously put a strain on everyone and the middle child, a son, tries desperately to stand out by spiralling deeper and deeper into deviant behavior. Even the lawyer assigned to the case has issues he must work through.
The ending definitely has a twist, and I am still not sure how I felt about it, but I could not put the book down and will probably read something else by Picoult in the future. Recommended.

No comments: