Monday, January 10, 2011

Bookish Review: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

I had read a lot of good things about The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, so when I found it on clearance at a Borders Express that was going out of business, I snatched it up, and I am glad I did. At first, the book is about dogs, and how wonderful and intelligent they are and how they can can positively impact people's lives. Then it is the story of a boy and his dogs--and how one dog, Almondine, helps him communicate, despite the fact that he was born mute.

It's a beautiful story.

Then as you get deeper into it, it takes a decidedly Shakespearean twist. I won't tell you which play, because it follows it pretty closely (though if you've read any reviews of the book, you probably already know). It's really well-written, and although the ending was not what I wanted, it didn't spoil the enjoyment of the book for me. Highly recommended.

No comments: