Monday, April 18, 2011

Bookish Review: Water for Elephants

I really enjoyed this book. Before I read it, I knew it was critically-acclaimed and was being made into a movie, but I didn't really know anything about the plot. The book is told mainly in flashback, as the protagonist (now living in an assisted-living facility) looks back on his life working as a veterinarian with a travelling circus. Gruen works in interesting details about circus life, including unusual but true stories. The book also weaves a nice love story as our hero falls for the beautiful horseback performer--and she with him, but whoops! she's married. And her husband isn't exactly stable. The book is evocative and interesting. I recommend it highly, and I look forward to seeing what the movie is like, though I am already unsure about the casting.

No comments: