Monday, May 23, 2011

Bookish Review: The Name of the wind

I picked up The Name of the Wind at a conference where the author was signing after someone recommended the book to me. Patrick Rothfuss weaves an elaborate fantasy world complete with fictional languages, magical creatures, mythology, and demons. In this world, some learned men know the true names of things, and can call them to do their bidding (hence the title). The book focuses on an innkeeper, who is no ordinary innkeeper, but a fabled hero in hiding. When the Chronicler arrives looking for the true story of the hero's exploits, he agrees to tell the tale. The person who recommended the book to me warned that it takes a while to really get into it, and I think she was correct, but once Kvothe, the main character, gets to the University, things really start to pick up, and the story is pretty compelling. Of course it is a nod to the power of words, which I always find enjoyable, and there's some magic thrown in as well (though it is a science-y magic). The second book in the series (I'm not sure if this is meant to be a trilogy or a series) is available, and I will be reading it next because I really want to know what happens! A good read for fantasy fans.

No comments: