Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cookish: What's for lunch?

How do you feel about eggs?

I love eggs. I didn't always, but now I do. They are so cheap, easy to cook, and versatile--what's not to love? Oh, and they're delicious. And good for you. Eat some eggs.

I always have eggs on hand, so when I am at a loss for lunch, I make egg salad. Simple. Tasty. Maybe not the healthiest lunch, but at least you're getting some protein. Pack some fruit, too--you'll be fine.

Do you know how to boil an egg? You've got to master that to make egg salad. Here's what you do:
Take as many eggs as you want to boil. Even if you're only making egg salad for yourself, you want at least two. Put in a pot that will just accommodate as many eggs as you have to boil in one layer. The smaller the better, so they don't have to bump around too much. Cover the eggs with cold water. Put the eggs on the stove and cover. Turn to high. When the pot comes to a boil, turn off the burner, and leave the eggs, covered, for 10 minutes. When the time is up, pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they cool. This will make them easier to peel. Bam! You've got boiled eggs, with no gray-green ring.

Now that you've got boiled eggs, it's time to make egg salad. You need:
Boiled eggs
mayonnaise
mustard (sometimes I use Dijon, sometimes I use Creole, sometimes I use Durkee's)
garlic powder
pepper

I use an egg slicer when I'm making egg salad--slice one way, then the other. You can also chop by hand. All the other ingredients are to taste. You want to make sure you add enough mayo to completely moisten the eggs and get a nice consistency. How to serve? I like to eat it just with crackers (Triscuits), but it's also mighty tasty on a sandwich of toasted whole wheat bread, with some lettuce.

No comments: