Monday, July 11, 2011

Cookish: Snacktime

Hummus

Hummus is really easy to make and the last
time I did it, I think I perfected it! Here's what you need:

3 cloves of garlic
1 can of chickpeas
1 lemon
3 tbs tahini (sesame paste)
olive oil
salt & pepper

I make my hummus in a food processor. First, chop up the garlic finely. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. You don't have to drain them all that well--a little water will help. put the chickpeas in the food processor with the juice from half the lemon and the tahini, and blend well. Add some olive oil until you get a thick, smooth paste. Add salt and pepper. Taste. At this point, I added the juice from the other half of the lemon and then enough olive oil to get the consistency I like--not too thick, and not too thin. It was awesome.

I think one of the important things for this hummus was that I bought a new brand of tahini at a local Middle Eastern market. It's made in Lebanon, and the s
tore carries several brands, but they recommended this one called Al Nakhil. It was easy to shake up (tahini tends to separate) and really made a delicious hummus. I recommend it!

No comments: