Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bookish Movie: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Ok, so technically, this is a "short-story-ish" movie, but I think it counts. I have not read the F. Scott Fitzgerald story on which the movie is based, so I can make no comparisons there, but I can tell you the movie is beautiful. It is set in New Orleans, which I believe is different from the setting of the story. Unlike most of the movies set in New Orleans, the accents are actually not bad, and they managed to capture some of the beauty and magic of the city. In addition, the special effects and make-up work are incredible. The movie is long, but it is a beautiful story of love and loss and life and death. Cate Blanchett and Brad Pitt do a great job, and Taraji P Henson does perhaps the best job of all as Benjamin's adoptive mother. She is very deserving of the Critic's Choice and SAG awards she has already won, and I sincerely hope she gets nominated for an Oscar.


It's a very bittersweet movie, but beautiful and moving. Highly recommended.

No comments: