Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bookish Review: Rosie Dunne





This book is by Cecilia Ahern, author of PS I Love You. It's an epistolary novel, which is not usually my favorite format. (The first one I ever read was Dear Mr. Henshaw, and I HATED it.) I think the story is pretty effectively told through the notes passed in class, letters, and emails, though.


It is the story of Rosie and Alex, best friends all their lives, and all the missed opportunities to be more than friends. The book shows how they grow and how their relationship changes over time, but they manage to remain friends despite the geographical distance between them and their romantic entanglements.


So, the story is good, don't get me wrong, but I spent the majority of the book wanting to scream at either Alex or Rosie or both, "You are an IDIOT! What are you DOING?" because it is so blatantly obvious that they should be together and they are in love with each other, but of course, they can't realize that the other is also in love with them. SIGH.


So, it was good, but...I wanted them to get together sooner. It was frustrating. But, the frustration does speak to the fact that I cared about the characters, so points to Ahern for that.


Conclusion: PS I Love You is bettter, but this is good, too.

No comments: