Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bookish Review: Julie & Julia

This book follows Julie Powell as she decides to cook her way through Julia Child's first cookbook in a year. That's over 500 recipes, people. Was she a little bit insane? Yes, yes, she was. The book was born from her blog, and I just found out that it is going to be a movie as well. (I found that a bit surprising.)



So, I'm not usually that much into memoir, but this was pretty good. It's about cooking and craziness and it's pretty funny. There are some disgusting parts, and her blind hatred for Republicans was a little annoying, because it doesn't really have anything to do with anything that is going on in the story. For the most part, though, the book is humorous and sweet, and it really is a rather amazing feat--I mean, could you bring yourself to cook brains and kidneys in aspic and all kinds of other revolting or unnecessary preparations, and then actually eat it? I think I'll pass!

No comments: